Bennett Jones is one of Canada’s premier business law firms. With a 90-year history and unparalleled depth in energy, natural resources and project development, the firm advises clients on corporate, commercial and restructuring mandates and litigation matters. Bennett Jones has globally over 360 lawyers (over 1,000 employees) with offices in several locations, including the Middle East and Beijing.
Bennett Jones presented several challenges:
- Document management platform offered poor search experience
- Legacy HTML-based intranet contained outdated content and confusing navigational structure
- Knowledge management repositories had become a dumping ground for knowledge “landfill”
- High volumes of email were being used as the primary means of employee communications
V51 worked with Bennett Jones to develop a knowledge management strategy focused on managing and delivering reusable work product. The solution included:
- Microsoft Office SharePoint Server for enterprise search, team sites, wikis, blogs, as well as document libraries
- Customizing SharePoint to deliver faceted search interfaces to browse and refine through thousands of precedents and research documents
- Integration with various internal systems, including an enterprise document management system (iManage) and an HR information system
- Portal branding and customization to improve upon the user experience and ensure adoption of portal features
Two global intranet awards
BenNet was awarded NN/Group Top 10 Intranets and Platinum Prize at the Intranet Innovation Awards.
Reusable work product is catalogued, stored and made accessible to other lawyers enabling the firm to be more responsive.
The portal provides a single interface for all partners and staff to connect with the firm regardless of location.
“V51 was the SharePoint technical team that built our award-winning intranet (Nielsen Norman Ten Best Intranets 2011; and 2010 Intranet Innovation Platinum Award) and did a brilliant job. This was the third project on which I have used V51 Consulting – all highly successful, including one that went commercial – and I have been impressed throughout by the exceptional level of service delivered, as well as their ability to achieve an insider’s level of understanding of the processes being automated.”
See how we're transforming the digital workplace for leading organizations.